Ofqual guidance on collecting student performance evidence
Wednesday 1 Nov 2023
In September 2023, Ofqual released . This is to ensure resilience in the qualifications system for GCSEs, AS levels, A-levels, and Project Qualifications in the unlikely event that government determines that exams are not able to go ahead.
The guidance asks that schools and colleges make sure that students sit mock exams in exam conditions before their formal exams, and that their papers are kept as evidence. One set of mocks for this purpose should be enough alternative evidence of student performance to enable alternative methods of awarding grades, such as Teacher Assessed Grades (TAGs), if needed.
Vocational, technical and other qualifications (VTQs) are out of scope of the Ofqual guidance, but we’d like schools and colleges to follow the same guidance as for general qualifications, to make sure there is enough evidence for these qualifications too. This applies to the following qualifications:
- Level 3 Certificate in Core Maths
- Level 3 Applied General in Science
- Level 3 Applied General in Business
- Level 2 Certificate in Further Maths
- Level 1 Functional Skills in English
- Level 2 Functional Skills in English
- Level 1 Functional Skills in Maths
- Level 2 Functional Skills in Maths
You can read the full guidance on the .